I’m having problems paying for my energy, what can I do?

If you’re having problems paying, it can give you a financial headache. We know things don’t always go to plan so offer support and guidance to help you resolve your payment problems and get things back on track.

Payment problems solved

First things first, get in touch as soon as you can so that one of our friendly advisers can help you.

Our advisers are available to phone for free on 0800 030 4567 between 8am and 8pm Monday to Friday or between 9am to 5pm on Saturday.

Our advisers will find out more about your situation, listen to you concerns and advise you on the payment options that could work for you. This might mean setting up an arrangement to pay a manageable amount every week, fortnight or month.

There are also several independent organisations that can support you if you’re having trouble paying your bills.

  • National Debtline is a free service offering debt advice. Call Monday to Friday from 8am to 6pm, or Saturday from 9.30am to 1pm on 0808 808 4000.
  • Citizens Advice is a free advice service for consumers. Citizens Advice England can be contacted on 03444 111 444 and Citizens Advice Wales can be contacted on 03444 772020. Phone calls to Citizens Advice England and Wales cost the same as calling 01 and 02 numbers. Calls to CAB Scotland are free on 0808 800 9060.
  • Money Advice Trust is a charity that helps people to tackle debts and manage their money wisely.
  • StepChange is a charity offering free advice to help people overcome their debt problems. Call 0800 138 1111.

For other agencies who might be able to help see ‘where else can I go for help?‘.