We’re regulated by Ofgem
As an energy supplier, we’re regulated by Ofgem (the Office for Gas and Electricity Markets) and have to meet a set of guaranteed performance standards. If we fail to meet these standards in the way we deliver energy to your home, you’ll be entitled to compensation.
Your electricity distribution company and gas transporter have to follow guaranteed standards too, which cover interruptions to your supply and maintenance work. If they fail to meet their standards, they’ll either pay you directly or we’ll pass their compensation payments to you.
Making and keeping appointments
Occasionally you may ask us or we may need to visit your home to sort out a problem with your energy supply. We guarantee to arrange an appointment in a reasonable time. We will normally offer you a four-hour slot, but if you ask us we can give you a two-hour slot.
If we need to rearrange your appointment we’ll let you know in advance. We also promise to keep the appointment unless we rearrange it or you tell us you want to cancel.
Faulty meters (not prepayment)
If it looks like your meter has developed a fault we’ll check it and begin to resolve it within five working days from the notification of the fault. This will be either because you tell us there’s a problem, or we believe something is wrong from the information you give us. You can ask us to confirm what we’re doing to fix the problem in writing.
Faulty prepayment meters
You might tell us your prepayment meter isn’t working correctly or we might believe something is wrong from the information you give us. Whether you’ve lost your supply or not, we’ll start working to resolve the problem within three hours if it’s a working day or four hours if it’s weekend or bank holiday. We may need to visit your home to do this.
If you fail to pay us for your energy supply, we may have to disconnect you. We’ll reconnect you within 24 hours as long as you agree on a repayment plan or:
- Pay the money you owe us
- Pay the cost of disconnecting and reconnecting
- Give us a security deposit if we request it
If we fail to meet any of these standards, we’ll make a £30 payment to you within 10 working days for each standard not met. And if we don’t do this on time, you’ll be entitled to a further £30.
If your electricity or gas distributor owes you compensation and we don’t pass this on to you within 10 working days, we will also make a £30 payment to you.
Exemptions to performance standards
There are some exceptions to the guaranteed performance standards. This means you wouldn’t be entitled to compensation if:
- We disagree over whether a standard was not met. In this situation, we’d explain how you can raise a dispute with Ofgem
- You told us you didn’t want us to take any action
- We reasonably consider the information you’ve given to be false
- You’ve tampered with your meter, attempted to restore a supply that we or the network company has lawfully disconnected. Or you’ve failed to pay the charges due as a result of that behaviour
- It was not reasonably practical to meet these guaranteed standards due to:
- Severe weather
- The behaviour of a person not working directly for us
- Restricted access to a relevant building
- A regulation we could not breach
- The effects of an event covered by Part 2 of the Civil Contingencies Act, 2004. This includes war, terrorism and threats to national security
- Other circumstances beyond our control, as long as we took all reasonable steps to prevent them from occurring and affecting us.
In these guaranteed standards, a working day means any day other than a Saturday or Sunday, Christmas Day, Good Friday or any other bank holiday. Working hours are between 8am and 8pm on weekdays and between 9am and 5pm during weekends and bank holidays. Any contact outside these hours will count from the next day.
If you have any questions about our guaranteed standards and how they affect you, contact us online, call us free on 0800 141 2001 or email our customer service team on firstname.lastname@example.org.
Want a copy of this text?
To make things more accessible for you we ensure all our important documents are available to download for your own reference.
Fosse Guaranteed Standards of Performance